England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all part of the United Kingdom or the Britain. Apart from being a home of the fairest legal system in the world, democratic principles, mature culture and admirable art, UK also has plenty of attractions for the locals and the visitors alike including the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Palace, Tower Bridge, Big Ben and the world famous 4000 years old mysterious Stonehenge.

It is a matter of prestige for Indian parents to send their child to study in UK. Over 1.4 million Indians reside in the UK with many of them originally being students. If you are planning to study in UK then you will definitely not feel homesick there.

Living and studying in the UK is like experiencing the high profile urban lifestyle and enjoying the diversity, complexity, civic infrastructure and social exchange while enjoying beautiful ancient yet modernised cities and delicious food with the liveliest population to be around. With regards to life and career, a degree from any affiliated institution is highly appreciated by employers everywhere in the world. No wonder Universities in the UK rank amongst the best internationally and students are anxious about the selection procedure to study in UK.A promising stable career surely will secure your future.

School System

Education in the UK starts at the age of 4 and continues until the age of 6-7 (Year 2 of school) when the students of England appear for Key Stage 1 National Curriculum Test. By the time a student reaches the Year 6 of school (age 10-11), he or she appears for Key Stage 2 National Curriculum Test. The Key Stage 3 National Curriculum Tests (also known as the Standard Assessment Test) are organised for middle school students aged between 13 and 14. At the age of 16, these students take 6 to 10 subjects in the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) examinations. GCSE exam results are graded between A* to G. The globally recognised International GCSE (IGCSE) follows the same system of gradation.

Students aged 17 to 18 in England and Wales who want to continue beyond the GCSE study for the Advanced or ‘A’ Level examinations. These are split into two stages AS level and A2 level. A Levels are the entrance requirement to study at university. Scotland has a slightly different structure. As an alternate to the GCSE, students appear for Standard Grades level examinations, and instead of A Levels, they take Higher and Advanced Higher.

Pre-university options

Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND)

The HNC and HND are qualifications in more practical areas. These are the academic equivalent to year one and year two of undergraduate degree programmes and HND students can apply for a second or third year of an associated course in the universities.

International Foundation Courses (IFC)

The IFC is a bridge between non-UK secondary and higher secondary level courses and UK qualifications, and are the required educational standard for college degree courses. It is an acknowledged entrance route for degree courses in a UK college or a university.

Awards, Certificates and Diplomas

There are a wide range of qualifications offered by Awarding Organisations in practical subjects. They are categorised by their size from the smallest, an Award, then Certificate, up to the largest, a Diploma and by their academic level from zero to eight. A Levels are at academic level 3, a bachelor’s degree is academic level 6 and a master’s degree is academic level 7.

Undergraduate Degree Courses

Single subjects : The vast majority of bachelor degree courses in the UK are in single subjects for three years. However, engineering can be four years and medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry are normally five years.

Joint degrees: Many universities offer combined subjects. These degrees usually have 2 or more subjects which are weighted equally.

Sandwich degrees : A sandwich degree offers students the opportunity to shine academically and ready themselves professionally. Sandwich courses essentially combine study and work. These courses last 4 years, including 1 year of professional experience in the related field. These courses allow international students to acquire professional experience coupled with their academic achievement. Note that only some universities offer these degrees and in limited subjects.

Pre-masters courses

Some universities offer effective programmes at the graduate level to help a student enter the post-graduate level. These programmes, consisting of specialist subjects, last for a whole academic year. They pave the way for a specialist master’s degree.

Post-graduate degrees

The taught master’s degrees in the UK are MBA, MA, MSc, and LLM. These degrees generally take a year to accomplish. Research degrees such as MPhil and PhD normally take 12-26 months or longer.

Application process for UK universities are the most simplest process and don’t take much time however it is advisable to contact university in timely manner.

Undergraduate Program

When to apply

  • Make sure you get your application in well before the deadline, particularly if you want to study at one of the top universities in the UK.
  • All applications to UK universities by UK students are made through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Simply fill in a UCAS application form on the UCAS website or visit the nearest British Counciloffice.

Non-EU international students

  • International students from a non-EU country can submit an application to UCAS at any time between 1 September and 30 June in the year preceding the academic year that studies commence.
  • However, most students apply well before 30 June to make sure that places are still available and to allow plenty of time to make immigration, travel and accommodation arrangements.

Post Graduate Program

For the post graduate program students are advise to apply in advance . Most of the university accept direct PG applications .

Application check list

For applying to the Universities , use this checklist to ensure all the required documents are in place

  • Copy of Passport/Visa (if available)
  • Academic transcript
  • Certificate of graduation
  • English Proficiency Test – IELTS or Trinity College London Test
  • Personal Statement
  • Reference letters
  • CV (If applicable)

Additional documents


  • Certificate of graduation/bachelor’s degree


  • Certificate of graduation/master’s degree
  • Research Proposal
  • Academic CV
  • List of publications ( if applicable)

NB: Some UG and PG program may ask you to provide additional documents like portfolio of art work , essay etc.

Tution fee:

UK Universities are among the top institutes in the world hence fee is vary from universities to universities.

Generally tuition fee for undergraduate program may cost you around £7500 to £17000 per annum while a master degree can cost you around £8500 to £21000.

Most of the universities offers regional scholarships hence before paying fee please Contact University.

Living Expenses

Before student apply to study in the UK, we strongly recommend that student must research how much it is likely to cost, to make sure you can afford it and to help you plan. Course fees are likely to be one of your biggest expenses – but don’t forget day-to-day living costs as well.

As per the UKVI guideline, Living cost is around £1,265 if you are studying in London and £ 1015 if you are studying outside of London.

For the visa purpose if your course is lasting for more than 9 months then you need to show amount up to 9 months hence in London it will be ( 1265*9 ) £ 11385 and in outer London it will be ( 1015*9) £9135.

Although a lot of money can be saved on living if student can follow tips advised by the Education UK and make budget by calculating money through International student calculator.

Visa is most important hurdle to study overseas. We want to make sure that our student take it in easy . Hence we provide them all the required information beforehand . All of the information student require to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa is available at Tier 4 Guideline which you should read before starting the visa application .

Student need to be clear which type of visa he is applying. When the student is obtaining tier 4 general visa he must complete his online application based on the category which visa he wants.

  • Tier 4 (General)
  • Short Term Study visas ( Study visitor visa )
  • Tier 4 (Child )

Tier 4 ( General) application comes under Point based system (PBS) of UKVI and student required to achieve all the 40 points to qualify for the visa proceeding . 30 Points are awarded for CAS and 10 points for financial documents to full fill maintenance requirements of UKVI.

Finances for Tier 4 applications

Finance is an important part of maintenance requirements . Most of the visa applications are refused due to insufficient funds or unverified funds.
There are two main components for finance :

1) Tuition Fee :

Student must have enough money to pay for the course fees for the first year of your course, or the entire course if it is less than one year long. The UKVI will use the details in your CAS to confirm how much money you need for your course fees. You should make sure that the information you enter on your application form matches the information on your CAS. If you pay a part of tuition fee for CAS then you have to show remaining tuition fee for 28 days .

Who can pay your tuition fee : Anyone can make payment of your tuition fee in university account but remaining funds must in be student/parent bank account for more than 28 days or covered by the education loan .

2) Living expenses

As per the UKVI guideline, Living cost is around £1,265 if you are studying in London and £ 1015 if you are studying outside of London .

For the visa purpose if your course is lasting for more than 9 months then you need to show amount up to 9 months hence in London it will be ( 1265*9 ) £ 11385 and in outer London it will be ( 1015*9) £9135.


Source of Finances:

Self-Financed: You or your parents pay for your studies.

  • Type of account: instant access cash funds- no fixed accounts
  • If using a parent’s account, you must provide a consent letter from your parents and your original birth certificate.
  • The amount must be 28 days old and the minimum balance should be in the account for 28 days and the statement need to be submitted must be no more than 31 days old.
  • Bank statements: student need to keep originals or certified printouts must include Bank’s name and logo, Name (Yours or your Parent), account number, date of the statement , amount of the money available. If it is self financed the student need to submit bank letter where the student need to check about the bank name and logo, your name and parent name, account number, date of the letter (no more than one month old), amount of money available, confirmation that the required funds are there for at least 28 days


Finances sponsored: Government or an international company/scholarship agency pay for your studies.

  • Sponsor letter must include amount of the sponsorship, length of the sponsorship and it must be on the letterhead paper with stamp and date with in the last 6 months


Finances Scholarship: The university pay for your studies

  • It must be mentioned on the CAS or an official letter from the university
  • Other documents:


Documents Checklist:

  • Online application form
  • Photos passport size 45mm*35mm
  • Passport(s) (and BRP if applicable)
  • CAS statement ( not mandatory ) – CAS issued by the Admissions office through email, no letter required and the student need to check all the details mentioned in the CAS are duly correct. Students need not send this but keep it for your reference and use it when filling out the application.
  • Qualifications certificates/transcripts- For Qualifications check your CAS statement which have been mentioned in regard to academics, English language and make sure where it has been mentioned as certificate or transcript. The student need to submit only the documents which are mentioned in the CAS.
  • Bank statements or Sponsor/Scholarship letter
  • ATAS certificate (If applicable) PhD or MEng in Engineering, physics etc. More information can be found here
  • TB certificate (If applicable) more information can be found here
  • International Health Surcharge (IHS) must be paid before you submit application . More information for IHS can be found here


Note : Documents which are going to be submitted must be in original and they must be in English or with the translation.

Translations of the documents need to have the date of the translation, signature of the translator, translator contact details and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of original.